Strange behaviour of CDU

The forum for all issues related to the new OC4BAv5 and the new OCP4NGXu driver for PMDG B737NGXu.
737Andi737

Strange behaviour of CDU

Post by 737Andi737 »

Hi,

I'm noticing two things when using the Opencockpits CDU with the OC4BAv5 driver.

I'm actually not 100% sure if they are hardware, driver (script) or PMDG software related.

First thing is not that worse. When typing very fast on the scratchpad sometimes the typed characters get completely lost and I have to start typing the same characters again. When this occurs I need to wait a few seconds and then it works again. Continuing to type fast always causes the characters to get lost.

The second thing is however a huge problem. However I do not know if it is driver related or something else. When I change settings in the CDU during midflight it sometimes causes freezes of Prepar3d that do very often not recover and lead to CTD.

Happens very often when playing around with the CDU very rapidly. I know this is a very vague info and therefore it could be anything.
But maybe someone is experiencing the same and there is a simple programming solution for it? Maybe changing the response times for inputs or something like that?

Thank you!

Best regards Andi
mvr1918
Site Admin

Re: Strange behaviour of CDU

Post by mvr1918 »

Issue 1:
The way the CDU inputs are handled in the driver and script will give the issues reported. The code could be changed, but it would take some time and I will rather use that time on other projects, like drivers for the coming PMDG airplanes in MSFS. The issue can easily be avoided, by clicking the CDU buttons not too fast.

Isssue 2:

What kind of change of settings cause this issue? I need more specific info to look into this.
737Andi737

Post by 737Andi737 »

Issue 1: Ok...I already assumed that.
Your decision is understandable and I'm also waiting for the PMDG in MSFS to make the switch asap. So no problem for me! But please be so nice to keep this in mind when writing the drivers for MSFS. Thank you!

Issue 2: I will try to provide more information when it happens again.
mvr1918
Site Admin

Post by mvr1918 »

Things to try out for solving issue 1:

In the PMDG B737.ini file, try to change the lines:
toggle-delay=20 to 10 or 0
FSUipcdisable=No to Yes

If you see any changes, please report back here.
737Andi737

Post by 737Andi737 »

Ok I will try that. Just out of interest. What does it do?
Just asking because I have so many other software and drivers installed and hopefully it does not cause other problems.
mvr1918
Site Admin

Post by mvr1918 »

Changes in PMDG B737.ini will only affect the script handling when you fly the PMDG 737 in P3D.

toggle_delay=20 is set for users of an old software PM Magneta. Hopefully, it will improve the speed in script handling. Not very well documented by OpenCockpits.

FSUipcdisable=No set to Yes will inhibit the use of FSUIPC communication. The OC4BAV5 does not use FSUIPC by default.
737Andi737

Post by 737Andi737 »

Hi Roar...I tried both settings without success.