Throttle control in PMDG thru OC4BA

Forum for the OC4BA v2/v3 and OC4BAConfig including the OCP4NGX driver
rprovideo

Throttle control in PMDG thru OC4BA

Post by rprovideo »

Hi

I have a motorized TQ which I rewired with OC cards as the original Prosim hardware was incompatible with PMDG 737NG.

So now I have a servo card controlling the servos and receiving 4 axes (throttle 1, 2, flaps, speedbrake), and 2 axes connected to the USB extension card fro the Master card (reverser 1 and 2)

So I have the axes in SIOC, and I am trying to send these to an Event, as you do with PMDG. Event 2335 is for the Throttle 1. However, it seems after some testing, that this Event does not accept a direct throttle setting, but its a Down/Up where an event of lower than 16383 makes the throttle go one notch down, and an event higher of 16383 makes it go up one notch.

But you cannot send 16382 repeatedly, as SIOC will not accept it once it changes, so it has to change, but stay under/over 16383. Do you have any idea how to solve this?

PMDG has other strange offsets - 2325 (EVT_CONTROL_STAND_FLAPS_LEVER) behaves the same for flaps, but there are also events for each flaps setting, like 2328 (EVT_CONTROL_STAND_FLAPS_LEVER_10) but I cannot get that to work at all, no matter what I send to it. Do you know how to operate that?

Also, do you know how to 'release' servos in SIOC? Like with the red X at the servo test window? I need to release them when AT is disnegaged so we can move the throttles manually.

Thanks
Balazs
rprovideo

Re: Throttle control in PMDG thru OC4BA

Post by rprovideo »

rprovideo wrote: PMDG has other strange offsets - 2325 (EVT_CONTROL_STAND_FLAPS_LEVER) behaves the same for flaps, but there are also events for each flaps setting, like 2328 (EVT_CONTROL_STAND_FLAPS_LEVER_10) but I cannot get that to work at all, no matter what I send to it. Do you know how to operate that?
from another member, send -1 to set 2328.
mvr1918
Site Admin

Post by mvr1918 »

To set the FLAPS you either use 2325 for one step movements for each value sent to the Var.

You send values lower than 16383 to lower FLAPS and values higher than or equal to 16384 to raise the FLAPS.
As long as the values you send are lower or higher than the above values ,the FLAPS will move.

You can also use 16383 to lower FLAPS and 16384 to raise FLAPS every time, but then you must insert in your script that
the VAR is reset to 0 in between the 163xx you send.

Or you can use the Var 2326 to 2334 set FLAPS directly to a setting. Use -1 and also here reset in script to 0 after the -1.

About the Servos I will check and come back
rprovideo

Post by rprovideo »

I got the servos from SIOC support tody, you have to send 0 to them to release.

my probelm with PMDG's approach is that if you send 16383 it will only move the throttle for example one bit. That means if the throttle is moved forward more (what happens in real life) you have to send the event multiple times. But you cannot send 16383 as sioc will only run a script if the variable is changed. Also, the interface will seriously 'lag' behind the real lever.
mvr1918
Site Admin

Post by mvr1918 »

The same methods as used for FLAPS should be used for the throttles.

But, if you have tested it and found it be too laggy,
you can use FSUIPC to control your throttles.
Alpin-Flier

Post by Alpin-Flier »

Hi Roar

I have the same problem as Balazs. To realize a working motorized throttle you need to know definitely the absolute position of the thrust levers in the PMDG. Also for manual positioning the lever with AT off and using the up/down function to control the levers you need to know where it is.

Of course it is also important to be able to write absolute values to PMDG. First of all this is needed for the speedbrake lever and the reverse thrust levers. It would be also more comfortable with thrust levers and even with flaps lever.

As far as I know it can be done with FSUIPC and you recommend this to Balazs, too. But is it really necessary to mix up OC4BA and FSUIPC? OC4BA convinced me, because it uses the event-driven facilities of SIOC. FSUIPC would introduce the polling function again and load my processor capacity without need.

Therefore my question: Is it possible in a reasonable time to add direct value read and write of axes in OC4BA? This would help a lot I think, not only to me.

Best regards
Urs
mvr1918
Site Admin

Post by mvr1918 »

I will look into this issue and report back to you. I you do not hear anything within this month, just remind me.
Alpin-Flier

Post by Alpin-Flier »

Hi Roar

Could you work on this issue? My B737 project is blocked for a month now. I hope you have good news for us. Thanks.

Regards
Urs
mvr1918
Site Admin

Post by mvr1918 »

Hi,

I have started to look into this issue, but it is nothing that can be done very easily. I have the c++ coding in the driver sorted out more or less out. Other issues like calibration, type of lever control ( pot.meter(input) and servo (output) or servo (input and output) I do not have any solution for now. Another big problem is to test this out in an effective way. I then need some test hardware.

I am in the process of making my own motorized throttle and need to solve this. When that will be, I can't tell at this time.

So, in the meantime ( I can't promise any time), I suggest users to use FSUIPC.